Stories of Guernsey County by Wm. Wolfe pages 807-817
CENTER has an area of about twenty-three square miles, and is the smallest of the townships, excepting Valley. The name indicates its location in the county. When formed in 1822, the township was larger than it is today.
Early Settlers.—John Chapman was probably the first white person to settle within the present boundaries of Center township. He built a cabin on Endley’s run, the stream that crosses the National Road at the foot of the east slope of the Four-mile hill. He was a squatter on government land, and engaged in hunting and trapping. (For further information about this pioneer see the stories entitled “Hole-in-the-Ear,” “An Indian Story,” and “Legend of the Lead Mine.”)
Warne has long been a familiar name in Center township. Thomas Warne, the first of the family in Guernsey county, came from New Jersey into what is now Wills township very early in the century, and in 1812 he settled on land that is now in Center. Mr. Warne was drowned while on his way to Stillwater where he was going to procure funds to prosecute the family’s claims to a large estate in New Jersey. His son, Jonathan Warne, born in 1791, was the father of nine children, some of whose descendants are now living in the township.
Born in Pennsylvania, in 1786, Stout Patterson settled on section six of Center township, inn 1808. George Clippinger settled in the township, in 1820; Isaac McCollum, in 1819; Alexander and Joseph Eagleson, in 1830; and William Thompson, in 1820.
Old Folks of 1876.—In 1876 the following aged persons were living in the township: Elizabeth Boyd, James Dugan, Mrs. James Dugan, Joseph Eagleson, Martha Eagleson, James Eagleson, Katherine Eagleson, Nero Gilson, Joseph Griffith, Mary Kendall, John Luzadder, Hugh Miller, Nancy McCollum, Martha Patterson, Benjamin Simpson and James Spence.
Crossed by Zane’s Trace.—In 1798 Zane’s Trace was blazed through what is now Center township. It entered a few rods west of Old Washington, turned northwest about a mile, then continued its course westward parallel to the present National Road. It crossed the ridge north of the Four-mile hill.
George Beymer purchased two hundred acres of land on Zane’s Trace, in 1803, and built a double log house on Endley’s run, a few rods north of the present National Road. In 1806 he opened his house as a tavern. As this was the half-way stopping place between Cambridge and Beymerstown, it was well patronized. Jacob Endley purchased the tavern in 1817, and built a large two-story house near it, which became a famous hostelry. Colonel Sarchet says that wagoners often staid two nights at Endley’s. In wet winters the road east of the tavern was so bad that a day was sometimes required to travel two miles. When night came the drivers would leave their wagons and lead their horses back to the tavern. Stage passengers would walk and frequently assist in prying the stage out of the mud. Endley’s tavern was closed when the National Road came through south of it.
Between Endley’s and Beymerstown was the tavern of Robert Carnes, which Joseph Eaton purchased in 1820. Eaton sold it to Isaac McCollum for a farm home, when the National Road was built.
Crossed by the National Road.—The National Road was built across the township from east to west, in 1827. The four miles through this political subdivision had many hills and curves. Within recent years many improvements have been made on this section of the road. One of the greatest was at the Four-mile hill. This hill is not four miles long, as the name may suggest; it is so called because it is four miles from Cambridge.
The William Penn highway (Steubenville road) crosses the northwestern corner of the township. It was completed from Cadiz to Cambridge in 1811.
In 1854 the Central Ohio (Baltimore and Ohio) Railroad was built across the southern part of the township. At one time there were four stations at which trains stopped in the township, all within a distance of five miles.
Population.—1830, 848; 1840, 976; 1850, 1,066; 1860, 923; 1870, 1,016; 1880 1,232; 1890, 1,094; 1900, 1,821; 1910, 2,040; 1920, 2,279; 1930, 1,621.
Lore City on Leatherwood creek and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was platted in Center, Richland and Wills townships on July 8, 1903, and incorporated in 1906, with Roland Potts as mayor. Campbell’s Station was the original name of the town, the change being made to Lore City in 1876. The population in 1910 was 609; in 1920, 784; in 1930, 580; in 1940, 606.
The first town platted in the township was Centerville on the William Penn highway, in 1842, by David Kincaid. He kept a tavern which was headquarters for the Democrats of that section, who held their rallies there. Rigby (Kipling) was platted by Henry Moss, December 20, 1898; and Kingston, by John H. Robins.
Craig was the name of a postoffice at the Four-mile hill. Mineral Siding on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was a station that disappeared with the mining activities. Lore City and Kipling are the only postoffices in the township today.
Mining in the Township.—No. 7 vein of coal, geologically known as the Upper Freeport vein, underlies the southwestern quarter of the township. Here were operated some of the first mines in he county. More than fifty years ago William Norris opened a mine near Mineral Siding, in which one hundred men were employed. Three other large mines were worked for many years—Kings, Klondyke and Forsythe’s –but these have been abandoned, Murray Hill is now the only large active mine.
A Scotch Settler.—With his wife and two small children, Hugh Miller, a weaver and cloth-printer, came from Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1818, and settled in Center township, one and one-half miles northwest of Washington. His father-in-law, Alexander Thompson, had preceded him to America and was living on Zane’s Trace, five miles east of Cambridge. He wrote Miller how to proceed in making the journey from Scotland to Center township. This letter was brought back to America and preserved.
After an ocean voyage of twenty-three days, in which the little vessel was driven out of its course by adverse winds, the Millers landed at Philadelphia. Aside from a little money all their worldly possessions were in two chests. Isaac Parker, a wagoner, was engaged to transport the family and the two chests to Pittsburgh. Earl H. Byemer, a great-grandson of Hugh Miller, lives on the farm that Miller purchased as soon as he arrived, and has the original receipt for the transportation. It reads as follows:
“2 Chests $53.05
Woman and 2 Children 20.18
“Received Sept. 4, 1818 of Hugh Miller the above goods, all in good order, which I engage to deliver in like order in Pittsburgh in twenty-three days from above date, he paying me Eight and one-half Cents per pound.
“Loaded at Thomas Graham Sta., 289 High Street, Philadelphia, Pa.
“Isaac (x) Parker”
As Mrs. Miller and the two children were transported at freight rates, the amount paid would indicate that the three weighed approximately 237 pounds. They were received as “goods, all in good order,” and were to be delivered in “like order.” True to the Scotch characteristic, Mr. Miller walked to save fare. The wagon traveled from twenty to twenty-three miles a day. If they followed instructions advanced by Alexander Thompson, they staid each night at a tavern where a meal cost twenty-five cents and a lodging twelve and one-half cents. The children were fed and lodged free.
At Pittsburgh the Millers received instructions from two Scotch stonecutters, John Wallace and William Watson, concerning the journey to Wheeling which was made by barge on the Ohio River. They traveled the remaining fifty miles by wagon on Zane’s Trace.
Hugh Miller became a prominent and influential citizen of Center township. In 1878 he died on the farm he settled, after living there sixty years. Several of his descendants are now living in Guernsey County.
The Youngest Civil War Veteran.—In 1942 Sylvester Patterson, then living in Tonkawa, Oklahoma, was believed to be the youngest Civil War veteran in the United States. He was born in Center township, near the Independence school, December 6, 1848. Younger boys than he served in the war, but none of them were known to be living in 1942. For several years Mr. Patterson was Department Commander of the Oklahoma Grand Army of the Republic.
When he was a boy Mr. Patterson worked at the Warne tavern on the Steubenville Road, for ten cents a day. He left Guernsey county in 1870, and for many years he engaged in the mercantile business in Illinois and Oklahoma. He amassed a fortune, lost it, and made another. At one time he owned and operated twelve stores in Oklahoma.
On the day that Gen. John H. Morgan and his raiders were in Guernsey county, Sylvester Patterson and a boy chum, Robert Campbell who lived on the Steubenville road, in the Slaughter Hill school district, went into Cambridge, hoping to see Morgan. They found the militia gathering and the people excited. It was reported that Union forces had arrived at Winchester, and it was desired to send a message from Cambridge to the commander there. The two boys were chosen to carry it, as they could get through with less danger of being captured than could a man. Duplicate copies of the message were written and sealed, and placed in the boys’ shoes. Waylaid and searched three times, they told their captors they lived in Winchester and were on their way home from a party; they were released each time. Having delivered the message to the Union official, they started back to Cambridge, reaching the town a little while before daylight. They were much elated over their successful mission for which they were highly praised. It was this first service for his country that inspired Sylvester to join the army.
He made three unsuccessful attempts to enlist. On September 13, 1864, he was accepted, after telling the officials that he was eighteen years of age. Men were becoming scarce, the draft was in force, and the rules were not strictly followed. He joined Company I, of the 176th Ohio Volunteers, and by the middle of December he was in the thick of the fight at Nashville.
Although he was only a few months over sixteen years of age when he returned to his home, he was a veteran of the Civil War, having fought in several battles. Being a youngster still, he again started to school. He afterwards took a course in Miller Academy at Washington, and then taught at Sugar Tree and Birds Run. He and Robert Campbell who accompanied him on the trip to Winchester, were lifelong friends. The latter became a member of the faculty of the State
College of Oklahoma.
The Fink Tavern.—On the National Road, five miles east of Cambridge, where the Devolld home now stands, was a tavern in early days that was the scene of many disturbances. Extending south from the tavern was a ridge known today as “Battle Ridge,” the name coming from the belligerent character of some of its early settlers. The people on the ridge frequented the tavern, especially on Saturday nights, and engaged in revelries that usually ended in fighting. The atmosphere of the place appealed to wagoners and drovers of the rougher type.
This tavern was known to travelers as the “Five-mile House.” George W. Fink was its keeper at one time. A sign outside read as follows:
Don’t Stop and think,
But come in and drink.
George Washington Fink
Owners of Real Estate in 1840.—The farms of Center township were owned by the following persons in 1840. After the name of each owner is given the number of acres in his farm and the section in which it was located.
Askins, Robert, 100 acres, lot 2; Angus, Richard, 155 acres, sec. 2; Beaham, John, 50 acres, lot 27; Boyd, John, 80 acres, sec. 13; Blair, John, 366 acres, sec. 6 and 15; Blair, James, 11 acres, lot 3; Buckley, John, 86 acres, sec. 5; Beck, John, 100 acres, lot 31; Blackburn, William, 83 acres, sec. 4; Boyd, James, 40 acres, sec. 15; Black, Samuel, 80 acres, sec. 7; Brading, Ezekiel, 12 acres, sec. 23; Brading, Joh, 84 acres, sec. 23; Bailey, Sydney, 50 acres, lot 20; Baird, James, 171 acres, sec. 8; Brown, Govey, 60 acres, sec. 6; Bute, John, 100 acres, lot 23; Brownlee, Ebenezer, 88 acres, sec. 2; Cochran, Thomas, 104 acres, sec. 3; Cunningham, Edward, 80 acres, sec. 12; Cunningham, James, 40 acres, sec. 12; Clark, William (Heirs), 80 acres, sec. 7; Campbell, William, 71 acres, sec. 2 and7; Cook, Elizabeth, 82 acres, lot 26; Clippinger, George, 40 acres, sec. 14; Clippinger, Israel, 27 acres, lot 14; Clippinger, Joseph, 49 acres, lot 14; Clippinger, William, 73, lot 14.
Dickens, John (Colored0, 47 acres, lot 21; Davis, Zadock, 18 acres, lot 25; Dugan, James, 160 acres, sec. 2; Ducher, Abraham, 50 acres, sec. 5; Dyer, Hugh, 41 acres, sec. 6; Endley, Jacob, 100 acres, lot 22; Eagleton, John, 120 acres, sec. 14; Eagleson, Alexander, 174 acres, sec. 13; Fleming, Alexander, 80 acres, sec. 7; Foy, Daniel, 129 acres, sec. 6 and 7; Galloway, Lowden, 41 acres, sec. 4; Gilpin, Matthias, 42 acres, sec. 4; Gilpin, John, Jr., 50 acres, lot 21; Gilpin, James, 39 acres, lot 32; Gilpin, Samuel, 81 acres, sec. 4; Gray, Robert, 80 acres, sec. 9; Griffith, Joseph, 103 acres, sec. 12; Gallagher, William, 260 acres, lots 15, 16 and 17; Hartong, John, 80 acres, sec. 2; Hanna, William, 100 acres, lot 18; Hyde, Thomas, 172 acres, sec. 13; Henry, Joseph, 100 acres, sec. 22; Hanna, Andrew, 201 acres, lots 20, 28 and 29; Hill, John, 80 acres, sec. 15; Hays, Thomas, 80 acres, sec. 7; Jarvis, John, 100 acres, lot 33.
Kendall, Zebedee, 91 acres, lot 25; Kirkpatrick, John, 100 acres, sec. 8; Kincaid, David, 357 acres, sec. 4 and 5; Kelso, Mark, 170 acres, sec. 8; Kell, John (Heirs), 218 acres, sec. 6 and 7; Lisle, John, 160 acres, sec. 9; Lucas, Bennett, 50 acres, sec. 3; Laughlin, John, 532 acres, sec. 19 and 22; Luzadder, Abraham (Heirs), 165 acres, sec. 2; Lawyer, James, 14 acres, sec. 4; Laird, James, 50 acres, lot 34.
Marling, Matthew (Heirs), 279 acres, sec. 3 and 4; McBurney, James, 175 acres, sec. 2; McConkey, James, 19 acres, sec. 2; Mollineaux, Thomas 61 acres, lot 32; McCullough, Silas, 5 acres, lot 20; McCollum, Isaac, 357 acres, sec. 5, 8 and 13; McConnell, Joseph, 245 acres, sec. 18 and 19; Martel, Nicholas, 204 acres, lots 34 and 35; McClurg, William, 240 acres, sec. 22; McCreary, John, 160 acres, sec. 19; McConnell, Thomas, 85 acres, sec. 18; Miller, Hugh, 160 acres, sec. 9; Martin, John 9heirs0, 100 acres, lot 30; McKewen, Peter, 181 acres, lots 11 and 12; McCreary, Hugh, 197 acres, sec. 4; McCown, Thomas, 80 acres, sec. 7; McMullen, James, 80 acres, sec. 9; McConkey, John, 33 acres, sec. 2; McClurg, Joseph, 170 acres, sec. 18; Morrow, James, 160 acres, sec. 14; Montgomery, Robert, 20 acres, sec. 2; McDowell, James, 80 acres, sec. 7.
Neiswanger, David, 190 acres, lots 5 and 6; Nyce, John, 192 acres, lots 38 and 39; Oliver, John, 120 acres, lots 8 and 9; Paden, David H., 5 acres, lot 10; Patterson, Jonathan, 160 acres, sec. 4; Patterson, Stout, 214 acres, sec. 6; Patterson, Zaccheus (heirs0, 160 acres, sec. 3; Patterson, James, 41 acres, sec. 4; Paden, James, 130 acres, sec. 3; Paden, John, 160 acres, sec. 2; Parkinson, William, 162 acres, sec. 5; Plant, Thomas, 154 acres, sec. 4; Rowan, Robert, 200 acres, sec. 12; Robinson, Henry, 186 acres, sec. 2 and 3; Robinson, James, 168 acres, sec. 23; Riggs, Evan, 41 acres, sec. 4.
Sproat, Alexander, 58 acres, sec. 2; Shaw, Luke, 160 acres, sec. 9; Spence, James, Jr., 160 acres, sec. 19; Smith, William, 50 acres, lot 3; Shaw, Mary, 53 acres, lot 8; Stewart, Galbraith, 100 acres, lot 7; Stotts, Joseph, 100 acres, lot 19; Smith, Peter, 200 acres, lots 4 and 13; Smith, Andrew (Heirs0, 72 acres, sec. 2; Scarborough, Rebecca, 110 acres, sec. 2; Scudder, Daniel C., 182 acres, sec. 3; Tracy, William, 50 acres, lot 27; Thompson, Benjamin, 254 acres, sec. 3 and 12; Talbert, Nathaniel, 91 acres, lot 37; Thompson, William, 334 acres, sec. 3 and 4; Thomas, Enoch, 84 acres, sec. 4; Wood, Joseph, 100 acres, lot 40; Wilson, George, 17 acres, lot 8; Walters, Medad, 38 acres, lot 35; Warne, Jonathan, 337 acres, sec. 3.
Early Township Government
The purpose of this article is to show what a Guernsey county township government was like one hundred years ago. John W. Oliver, clerk of Center township, found an old record book containing the proceedings of the trustees and other officials of that political subdivision from 1836 to 1856. He brought it to the writer, remarking that it might contain something that should be preserved in Guernsey county history.
Center Township Officers.—The first entry in the book was made April 4, 1836. On that day the following officers were elected; West Slater, David Kincaid, and James Robinson, trustees; Clark McCune, clerk; Stout Patterson, treasurer; John Eagleton, John Lucas and George Clippinger, supervisors; Isaac McCollum and William Parkerson, overseers of the poor; Michael McCune, Bennett Lucas and John Lawyer, fence viewers; John McDowell and John Kindle, constables.
In those days township fence viewers were elected to settle disputes in regard to line fences. There was no county home and overseers of the poor were elected to provide food and clothing for indigents.
“Stray Book” is the name given the old record. It was evidently intended to be used for recording the finding of stock that had strayed from the owners, this then being required by law. There are many such entries in it. However, it was used as a general township record book.
Township Elections.—Elections were conducted by the township trustees. Voting was done at the home of some resident. The first settlers of Center township, although they came from different parts of the county, were mostly Democrats, and Center was always considered one of that party’s strongholds in the county.
During the period covered by this record book the two political parties were the Democratic and Whig, the latter being much in the minority in Center and apparently in disfavor with some of the Democrats. On retiring as clerk, March 1, 1849, A. R. Savage recorded his valedictory in the “Stray Book,” in the form of verse, as follows:
“May old Center ever prove
True and faithful to the last;
Always Democratic move,
And hold her freedom fast.
“And oh, my lucky stars, forbid
That Whigery e’er should bear rule;
May it ashamed hide its head,
And cease to make of wise men fools.”
Democrats Always Won.—In the fall of 1842 Wilson Shannon was he Democratic candidate for governor, and Thomas Corwin, the Whig candidate. Shannon received 115 votes, and Corwin, 47. In October, 1844, 135 votes were cast for David Todd, the Democratic candidate for governor, and 63 for Mordecai Bartley, the Whig candidate. At the presidential election the following month, four Democrats evidently missed voting, as James K. Polk as given but 131 votes. The Whigs, though, were out in full force, giving their regular vote of 63 to Henry Clay. Lewis Cass (Democrat) received 116 votes in 1848, and Zachary Taylor (Whig), 58. In 1852, 107 ballots were cast for Franklin Pierce (Democrat), and 61 for Winfield Scott (Whig). The voting shows that party ratio was maintained from year to year.
Financial Records.–Financial records were carefully kept. The officials seemed to take pride in keeping down township expenses. One clerk, on turning the book over to his successor, called attention to what must have been considered an embarrassing financial situation, namely, that “Center township is in arrearages to the amount of $7.50.” The next clerk recorded the following in a bold hand: “January 24, 1847. Center township redeemed. Owes nobody and nobody owes her.”
The trustees exercised their authority to rid the township of undesirable citizens, as shown by the following:: “We the undersigned trustees of the township of Canter (David Black and Thomas Hanna), hereby notify John Lyzer, late from Maryland and now living in Center township, on the farm of Thomas Hyde, to depart out and leave said township before the first day of March. 1854.”
Records of Indentures Kept.—There are several records showing that children were legally bound to residents of the township by action of the board of trustees. As an illustration of his custom which no longer exists in our county, the following is given. On July 29, 1841, Philip Pratt, aged seven years, was bound to John Eagleton until the age of twenty-one years, with the consent of the boy’s father, Edward W. Pratt, under the following conditions:
“John Eagleton doth hereby covenant with the said Edward W. Pratt and Philip Pratt, and each of them, that he will give the said Philip Pratt two years of schooling to be given--eighteen months during the first six years and six months during the last two years, making in all two years; schooling—and will provide him with meat and lodging, clothing and washing, during said term, suitable for a boy of his age. The said Philip Pratt will faithfully serve the said John Eagleton and correctly demean himself during said term.”
George Johnson, a pauper, aged ten years was bound to John Nyce, October 2, 1852. The record in part is here given exactly as it appears in the “Stray Book”:
“The said John Nyce shall have all the authority, power and rights over the said George Johnson and his services during said term, which, by the law of his state, a master hath over a lawfully bound miner. And the said John Nyce on his part, in consideration thereof, doth covenant, promise and agree with the said poor boy, to teach and instruct him, the said G. Johnson, or cause him to be taught and instructed to read, write and Sypher so far as to include the single rule of three, if capable of taking learning, and also to twrain him to habits of obedience & industry and morality, and provide for him and alow to him meat, drink, washing, loging and apparel for Summer and winter, and all nessaries proper during the time of his Servis, as aforesaid, and at the expiration thereof, shall give to the said Boy a new bible and at least two suits of new clothing.”
Elizabeth Ann Clippinger, aged one year, daughter of Israel Clippinger, was bound by her father to Joseph Stutts on January 16, 1845, to serve the said Joseph Stutts until she became eighteen years old. According to the article of agreement she “shall faithfully serve her said master, his lawful commands obey, and his secrets safely keep.” In consideration whereof Joseph Stutts covenants and agrees that until Elizabeth Ann Clippinger reaches the age of eighteen years he “will provide for and furnish at his own cost and charges all necessary and suitable food and clothing, lodging, washing and medicine; will teach her, or cause her to be taught to read and write, and also the first four rules of arithmetic.” He agrees further that at the expiration of her term of service he will furnish her a new Bible and two suits of common wearing apparel; also, that in addition to the aforesaid, he will give her one cow and one feather bed and bedding. As a part of the agreement her father would be permitted to visit and converse with her at suitable times.
Dreaded by Travelers.—In Center township, seven miles east of Cambridge, the National Road passes through a cut in the hill. Compared with the cuts made in modern road building, such a passage through a hill would be of little importance; but one hundred years ago, when mattocks and shovels constituted the main equipment of a road contractor, an excavation of the magnitude of this one would attract the attention of travelers. Not only to the people who lived in that section but also to all who were accustomed to travel the National Road, it was known as Deep Cut.
To avoid steep grades the road was built around hills rather than over them. This accounts for the many curves along it in Guernsey county. Here was a place around which the road could not be taken conveniently. Dirt was needed to fill a hollow some distance ahead. The excavation and the fill were considered a remarkable engineering achievement by the people of that time.
In the early days of travel on the National Road, Deep Cut was a dreaded place. On both sides were dense forests and the branches of the trees towering high on the banks intertwined, making a tunnel of the passage-way. It was gloomy during the day and very dark at night.
Many tales were told—some of them fictitious, of course—of holdups and robberies at Deep Cut. There were stories of attacks on stagecoaches and of the rifling of mail sacks and trunks. Lone travelers were seized and searched and robbed of their possessions.
The Headless Man.—But the story that was told most frequently around the pioneer fireplace was that of a ghost that was said to haunt Deep Cut. Among the early people were many of a superstitious nature, who readily believed in the supernatural. It was easy for them to imagine ghosts to be associated with this awe-inspiring place.
A man who had been employed in the building of the National Road from its beginning at Cumberland, Maryland, decided to quit at Deep Cut and return to his home in the East. Having been paid considerable money that was due him, he suddenly disappeared. Nothing was ever heard of him afterwards. A report was started that he had been paid considerable money that was due him, he suddenly disappeared. Nothing was ever heard of him afterwards. A report was started that he had been murdered and his body covered with dirt in the “deep fill.” Then followed the story of a headless man who would be seen walking through the cut at certain times.
Tavern Mysteries.—An old tavern was located a short distance east of Deep Cut. Many ghost stories were told of this place, too. It was whispered about that there were often mysterious happenings in a big windowless room of the tavern. A deep well was filled up in order to hide some crimes, it was told. Any such stories, authentic or otherwise, made an impression upon the superstitious. The following, however, actually did occur:
A lone woman traveling horseback along the National Road staid at this tavern over night. Having left early the following morning, she was attacked at Deep Cut and her saddle bags, which contained money and clothing, were cut open. Persons connected with the tavern were suspected of the robbery. They were arrested, tired before a justice of the peace in Cambridge, and bound over to the grand jury. The case was dropped, as the prosecuting witness never returned. Many years later a convict died in the penitentiary at Alton, Illinois. Shortly before his death he made a confession of his many crimes, amongst which was the robbery at Deep Cut. He and his brother-in-law, who lived two miles west of Cambridge, were the guilty parties, and not the persons at the tavern, who had been arrested.
Deep Cut School.—On the south bank of the passage, for three-fourths of a century, stood the Deep Cut school. It was one of the best known of the one-room rural schools in Guernsey County. The families of the community were interested in education, and some of the best rural teachers to be obtained were employed there.
In 1931 a centralized school was provided for the children and the old building was sold and torn away. Just before this was done a day was set aside for a reunion of former pupils and teachers. An organization was effected, of which Dr. A. W. Boyd, of Cambridge, was president. Elaborate arrangements for the event were made. A large tent was shipped from Columbus to be used in case of rain. Hon. Freeman T. Eagleson, of Columbus, was master of ceremonies. Several hundred former pupils were in attendance, some coming from distant states. Amongst the number were business men, lawyers, doctors, educators and ministers. It was one of the largest and most successful one-room school reunions ever held in this part of the state.