Major James W. Moore
Stories of Guernsey county by Wm. Wolfe Page 259
Major James W. Moore.—Born in Wills Township on August 25, 1838, James W. Moore was not yet twenty-three years of age when the call to arms came. He had been educated in the Cambridge public schools and Miller Academy at Washington. At the opening of the war he was living with his parents near Cambridge. Weighing more than 200 pounds, tall, straight, physically sound and active, he was well fitted for a soldier’s life. Recognizing these qualifications and knowing of his intelligence and strong personality, his comrades, when assembled in front of the old court house before leaving for the war, elected him as their captain. During the next three months his company experienced some hard fighting in Virginia. In the meantime President Lincoln had called for more men, asking that at this time they enlist for three years.
Captain Moore went to Columbus to reenlist. Here he was surprised to learn that for meritorious service as a Captain he had been appointed a Major by Gov. David Tod, and assigned to the Ninety-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry. When he took his place he found himself to be the youngest field officer in the Second Brigade, Second Division, Fourth Army Corps, under General Wagoner.
Major Moore fought in the Battle of Missionary Ridge, receiving a serious wound on November 25, 1863. When sufficiently recovered for further service he was back with his men and participated in the hard-fought battles between Chattanooga and Atlanta. On June 22, 1864, he had command of the Second Brigade skirmish line at Kenesaw Mountain. While he established and held the Union lines, 122 of his men were killed and wounded within the brief period of one-half hour.
Major Moore was carried from the field with a shattered ankle. He was taken to a hospital where he remained for two or three months, and was then told that because of his crippled condition he would be unable to perform further army service. On September 13, 1864, he was discharged and sent home on crutches.
The following year he married Hannah M. Carlisle and settled on a farm three and one-half miles east of Washington, on the National Road. He enlarged the farm to 400 acres and engaged extensively in stock-raising, at the same time taking an active part in county affairs but never seeking public office. His death occurred in 1915. The farm is now (1942) owned by Mr. and Mrs. E. B. Wallace, Mrs. Wallace being the only living child of Major and Mrs. Moore. The home is generally known as the “Major Moore Place.”