James R. Barr
Stories of Guernsey county by Wm. Wolfe Page 467-468
The Republican-Press.—For about twenty-five years a weekly paper, The Republican-Press, was published in Cambridge. Founded by L. A. Dunifer, it was first called The People’s Press. In 1883 the name was changed to The Cambridge Democrat. The plant was bought by a stock company in 1885, and the name was again changed, this time to The Republican-Press. James R. Barr was manager and editor. The paper was strictly partisan and an important factor in local politics. About 1905 it was purchased by The Guernsey Times and continued as a weekly for a few years, when its publication ceased.
For more than a half century James R. Barr was active in the business and civic affairs of Cambridge and Guernsey county. He taught in the rural schools of the county for several years. After taking a course in pharmacy in the University of Michigan, he engaged in the drug business in Cambridge. He served two terms as county clerk of courts, six years as a member of the city board of education, two years as a member of the city council, and four years as mayor of Cambridge (1890-94). During the twelve years of the William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt administrations he was postmaster at Cambridge.
Mr. Barr was probably best known for his political activities. He was not only a loyal Republican in principles, but was a recognized leader in both county and state politics. He served as chairman of the Republican county committee, and as a member of the state central committee. In 1896 he was a delegate to the convention that nominated William McKinley for the presidency. His last public service was in the state Senate to which he was elected in 1920.