Theodore Wells

Stories of Guernsey county by Wm. Wolfe Page 273-274

The Last Soldier of the Civil War.—Theodore Wells, the last Guernsey county soldier of the Civil war was born on March 1, 1846, and died in Cambridge on December 29, 1941, almost ninety-six years of age.  He was buried in a cemetery at Cadiz, Ohio.  For two or three years prior to his death he was this county’s only veteran of the war.  He was long active, both physically and mentally, and less than two weeks before he died he participated in a parade which officially opened the sale of bonds in Guernsey county for the second World War.

     After several futile attempts to enlist for service in the Civil War he was accepted before he was eighteen years of age, and sent to Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he joined Company F of the Ninety-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  He was with Gen. William T. Sherman on his march to Atlanta.  At Kenesaw Mountain he was shot in the side, the ball passing through his body and killing the soldier behind him.  He was taken to a Chattanooga hospital where he remained until he was able to be sent to a hospital in the North.

     His wound healed and he was anxious to join his company.  In the meantime General Sherman had taken Atlanta and was on his march to the sea.  Wells went to New York and embarked on a ship sailing to Savannah; here he expected to join his comrades.  The ship was wreaked off the coast of North Carolina.  For several days Wells and some others waded the swamps with nothing to eat except raw clams and oysters.  When they finally reached dry land they learned that General Sherman had taken Savannah and was on his way north with the army, that he had passed through that county several days before.  Wells followed as rapidly as possible, but before he overtook the Union soldiers Lee had surrendered and the war had ended.  He continued to Washington, however, and participated in the grand review of the Union army.

     After the war Mr. Wells engaged in business for a while in Senecaville.  For about twenty-five years he farmed in Knox and Adams townships.  His first wife died in 1931, and, in 1939, when he was ninety-three years of age, he married Mrs. Amanda Howell Kennedy.  He was long an active member of the Grand Army of the Republic, serving as a post commander for several years. A few years before his death he was elected Ohio Commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, the highest state honor his comrades of the Civil war could bestow upon him.


Home Site Map