Stories of Guernsey county by Wm. Wolfe Page 591-592
William M. Farrar
William M. Farrar was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, in 1824. Like Mr. White he attended the common schools, then studied for a short time in an academy. He taught school in Kentucky for two years, reading law in the meantime, and came to Cambridge in 1848. In 1851 he was elected clerk of courts of Guernsey county, the first under the new Constitution, and served two terms. As a soldier in the civil War he attained the rank of captain. While in the army he was a member of the staff of Gen. James A. Garfield to whom he was ever afterwards greatly attached.
An Editor.—In 1869 he established The Cambridge News and was its editor for five years. This was a weekly newspaper published in the interests of the Republican party. The name was afterwards changed to The Cambridge Herald, an independent paper whose publication was continued until about twenty years ago.
Mr. Farrar was a member of the Cambridge board of education for several terms. He was elected mayor two times. He represented Guernsey county in the General Assembly in 1883-84, and again in 1885-86. His “groundhog speech” before that body showed that he possessed a rare sense of humor.
An Author.—The legal profession did not appeal to him. His tastes were literary. While he attended school comparatively little, he was a student all his life. He was especially interested in history and he wrote several historical articles that were published widely. On e of these was the “Moravian Massacre.” His account of that event was written after much research and study and it is considered one of the most authentic yet given. An address by Farrar at the Marietta Centennial in 1888, entitled “Why Is Ohio Called the Buckeye State?” is preserved in Howe’s Historical Collections of Ohio and in the publications of the Ohio Archaeological and Historical Society.
A Man of Strong Convictions.—Captain Farrar was distinguished for his public spirit, strong convictions, and fearlessness in the discharge of his duties as he saw them. Apparently oblivious of what others might think of him, he pursued his own way animated by his won conceptions of right and duty.
The writer of this article never knew personally either of these men, but he has heard much about both of them from others. They were amongst the men of the last century, who stood out prominently as Guernsey county citizens.
Stories of Guernsey county by Wm. Wolfe Page 466-467
Other Cambridge Publications
The Herald.—William M. Farrar established The Cambridge News, a weekly Republican paper, in 1867. After it had passed through several managements, it was purchased, in 1882, by J.P. Mahaffey and Thomas W. Ogier, who changed the name to The Herald and conducted it as an independent weekly for twenty-eight years. W. O. Moore purchased The Herald in 1910 and published it for a few months. He then consolidated it with the Guernsey Times, of which he was manager.
J.P. Mahaffey, familiarly known as “Perry” was prominent in local civic affairs. He served as county clerk of courts from 1879 to 1882, and represented this district in the state Senate for two terms (1906-1910. In politics he was a democrat.