Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Recipe
Prep time 5 mins Cook time 30 mins Total time 35 mins
Make a delicious meal with just a few ingredients.
Recipe type: Main Meal
Serves: 8 servings
2 pounds crumbles
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 small head cabbage, chopped
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
6 oz water
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Optional for extra spice:
1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
1 teaspoon Cumin
A few leaves of chopped fresh basil
- Heat a Dutch oven or extra large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil and cook the onions until translucent. Cook crumbles and onion in the hot Dutch oven until browned.
- Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, garlic, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, cumin and fresh basil. I found by using the fire roasted tomatoes it made a huge difference in taste.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Cover Dutch oven, reduce heat, and simmer until cabbage is tender. This will take about 30 minutes.
- (Note: It may seem like you don’t have enough water at first but when the cabbage cooks down it will be perfect)